The Federal State of Salzburg
The Division for State Information Technology of the Federal State of Salzburg gives support to the district administration authorities in the areas of customer service, infrastructure, software development, federal state statistics and administrative controlling. The experts in the area of server and network operation are, among other things, responsible for design, parameterisation, operations, hard and software, as well as IT security and data protection.
- The Federal State of Salzburg – introduction of a state-wide fabric-based network infrastructure
In order to comply with the future challenges of a modern network environment, it became necessary to replace the old, traditional network with a technically sophisticated, flexible and future-proofed network solution. Primary customer requirements encompassed a complete re-design in the core and access areas as well as the enhancing of network performance, IT security and economic efficiency. Furthermore, a key focal area was network segmentation in the areas of administration, facility management and future IoZ (Internet of Things) applications.
Services & Solutions
- Controlware was awarded the contract for conception, planning, project management and support services.
- The network solution includes both the network components for the central IT infrastructure of the administration and a Network Access Control (NAC) solution for the secure integration of terminals.
- Together with the customer and the partner Extreme Networks, the project was successfully implemented in four sub-projects:
- Analysis of the current/target situation, network design and service specifications
- Pilot phase in actual operations
- Roll-out and customising of the required applications in the core and access areas
- Project handover and implementation of the support services for the core and Data Centre areast
The network has been fully virtualised from the core through to the access area and can be expanded in a flexible manner depending on the requirements. This is possible on account of the fabric-based Connect technology from Extreme Networks, which will not only be used in the Data Centre but also in the Campus/Access areas. This means that virtual networks can be conceived quickly and in a flexible manner, service times can be significantly improved and on-demand applications can be made available in a dynamic way. The overall solution provides a high level of security and is very user-friendly. Furthermore, the level of administrative effort has been considerably reduced, as the terminals are automatically assigned to the VLANs via a Network Access Control solution. The new IT infrastructure also supports the automated integration of future terminals and applications in order to realise new working methods in the areas of digitisation, the Internet of Things and facility infrastructure management.