Dr. Schumacher GmbH
Dr. Schumacher GmbH is a German family business that specialises in the development and production of disinfectant, hygiene and cleaning products, as well as cosmetics and grooming products. The family business has been based in Malsfeld-Beiseförth in the north of the German state of Hesse since 1978. Here, Dr. Schumacher GmbH produces under their own name as well as contracting for well-known brand manufacturers, retail chains and industrial enterprises as a private label/ OEM manufacturer.
- Introducing a HCI environment to Dell VxRail
- A comprehensive modernisation of IT infrastructure is required in the customer’s company headquarters in order to meet the requirements of the demanding, digitalised production environment.
- In the first phase, the heterogeneous core was to be replaced by a network based entirely on Alcatel technology.
- In the second phase, the plan was to implement a failsafe, virtualised Hyperconvergent Infrastructure (HCI).
Services & Solutions
- To realise the first step, the IT experts set up a second computer centre in order to integrate a datacentre core with a 40 gigabit backbone as well as a 10 gigabit chassis based on Alcatel switches. In parallel to this, the core network in the original computer centre was expanded, renewed and migrated to a uniform hardware basis. Both data centres were connected using powerful fibre optics and subsequently brought online by the project team.
- In the second step ten redundant Dell EMC VxRail appliances were integrated. These Hyperconvergent Systems (HCS) combine computer, RAM, storage, network and graphical resources in one platform.
- Managed services: Controlware experts are tasked with running the Alcatel switches and are responsible for the monitoring, update and patch management and maintenance of both the VcRail appliances.
- Implementing a HCS, makes a sustainable consolidation and standardisation of the company-wide server environment possible, guaranteeing a significantly more efficient running of the business.
- The redundant infrastructure with HCI appliances networked with LWL provides improved reliability.
- The standardised virtualised server infrastructure makes it easier to implement and manage new applications quickly and efficiently.
- The project team has developed a hyperconvergent virtualised architecture that combines excellent performance with a high measure of scalability – this is the foundation for the future growth of Dr. Schumacher GmbH.